www.458socomforums.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

To help eliminate Spam please register on our new Forum if you have not done so already. We apologize for any inconvenience!

Author Topic: Nickel Boron Coating  (Read 5550 times)

Glockrocker

• View Profile
Nickel Boron Coating
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »

http://www.wmdguns.com/

The link above is the company that KCJ Coatings is directing all who have interest in Nickel Boron Coating gun parts.  WMD Guns has a pdf price list on the web page.  I've been back and forth with Wynn Atterbury at WMD Guns via email and he told me that when they coat a receiver they coat the entire receiver then they will put a ceramic top coat on the outside for $20.00 per receiver in almost any color.  He said they mostly use black OD green, desert sand and flat dark earth which he described as a battle grey. 

Below is the last email I sent Wynn, I'll post his reply when I get it.

"Wynn,
Thanks again and please have patience with me as I learn more about your service. 

1) If I were to send you an upper and lower receiver and some magazines how much disassembly do I need to do and is it necessary for them to be cleaned or not? 

2) Can you coat the outside of the barrel with the ceramic top coat so that the color matches?  In order to do this does it first need to be nickel boron coated?

3) Can composite parts be ceramic coated?  Parts like the the stock and hand grip. 

4) Can quad rails be ceramic coated? 

5) Can different parts be ceramic coated in different colors?  I'm only thinking of two colors.

6) Can you ceramic coat a redfield 4x fixed power scope along with the rings?"

If you wrestle with a turd, you're bound to get a little on you.  In other words, who you associate with is a good indicator of who you are.

Always trying to be the person my dog believes I am...he's pretty awesome by the way.

If it has wheels or breasts you'll eventually have problems with it

458MADNESS

• View Profile
Re: Nickel Boron Coating
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »

cool. let me know what the responses are.

Dog AR458

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »

+1 on that. If you do go through with do not forget to provide us with the pron  ;D
Darren

Member: NRA GOA

Est sularas oth mithas
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

superman07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »

I am interested also.

Valar Morghulis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:53:39 PM »

Did you ever get a reply Glock?
Quid quid latine scriptum sit, altum videtur

Glockrocker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »

Sort of but not completely.  Here's the price list and you'll notice they have a Memorial Day sale going on. http://www.wmdguns.com/downloads/WMD%20Memorial%20Day%20Sale%20Price%20List.pdf
I was told that when they nickel boron coat a lower receiver then ceramic top coat it that they don't mask off the inside of the lower.  I see no reason to spend the money on the nickel boron coating then.  After all the only reason for it on the lower is to make it easier to clean the interior.  I never got an answer on the barrel or fore grip ceramic top coat. 
If you wrestle with a turd, you're bound to get a little on you.  In other words, who you associate with is a good indicator of who you are.

Always trying to be the person my dog believes I am...he's pretty awesome by the way.

Valar Morghulis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »

Sort of but not completely.  Here's the price list and you'll notice they have a Memorial Day sale going on. http://www.wmdguns.com/downloads/WMD%20Memorial%20Day%20Sale%20Price%20List.pdf
I was told that when they nickel boron coat a lower receiver then ceramic top coat it that they don't mask off the inside of the lower.  I see no reason to spend the money on the nickel boron coating then.  After all the only reason for it on the lower is to make it easier to clean the interior.  I never got an answer on the barrel or fore grip ceramic top coat. 

Is that only with the lower, or do they not bother taping off the inside with an AR upper either?

Glockrocker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »

That's only the lower.  Also, I just noticed the ceramic coating isn't on the price list.  It's 20 per receiver and 11 per magazine.

458MADNESS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 09:37:07 PM »

That's only the lower.  Also, I just noticed the ceramic coating isn't on the price list.  It's 20 per receiver and 11 per magazine.
good to know. what kind of coating would the ceramic be exactly...i mean how easily might it chip or flake off, either because of the slick boron coating underneath and or because of the coating itself and the location of the coating?

it seems easy enough to at least mask off roughly, the inside...i mean it wouldn't have to be perfect.

but for that matter, would ceramic coating on the inside really be worse than the regular black coating that the lower has without any finishing of any kind? because the point of doing the lower might also be so you don't have a grey coated outside.

Glockrocker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:30 PM »

I don't think ceramic coating would be worse than the black that's in there now but I don't think it would be better either.  I didn't get the name of the ceramic coating they use but it's gotta be similar to cerakote.  Cerakote is really hard and evidently the only enemy to it is high heat.  But it depends on which type of cerakote you use.  One type has to be baked on.  It doesn't handle as much heat as the other type which cures at room temperature.  The hardness and scratch resistance of both types is the same the only difference is the high temp each can handle.  The room temp cure type will handle up to 1200 degrees with out cracking the oven cured will only handle around half that. 

Valar Morghulis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »

Yeah they do.  Matte Black Topcoat, last item under AR pricing.

Madness, I think somebody is going to have to lay them on the table and give it a whack for us to know.  I was planning on having it done anyway.  Once I get the upper back from my machinist next week (what, I'm lazy) I'm going to send it off.  Hopefully I'll be able to scrounge up a bolt by then so I can get the package deal  on the hammer and BCG, but otherwise I may have to send it in later and just have the hammer and carrier done with the upper.