www.458socomforums.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

To help eliminate Spam please register on our new Forum if you have not done so already. We apologize for any inconvenience!

Author Topic: 300 AAC Blackout VS 300 Whisper  (Read 28536 times)

Ruel

• Demon Hell Pig
    • View Profile
300 AAC Blackout VS 300 Whisper
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »

I've been looking into these two and I have been wondering if anyone has any opinions on them.  Both are intended for suppressed use.  300 Whisper has been around for awhile but it seems the 300 AAC BO has an easier time adapting to the AR platform.  I know the .338 Spectre is out there but from what I understand this is closer to a sub gun whereas the 300s are closer to a rifle.  Any thoughts experiences or suggestions concerning this rifle?  I have very little previous experience with suppressed systems and am looking into something to get into the game.  These two seem like they could be a fun time.  Here are some links about the rifles discussed.

300 AAC Blackout http://www.300aacblackout.com/

300 Whisper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Whisper
You. You... and you. Panic. Everybody else follow me.

DDriller

• View Profile
Re: 300 AAC Blackout VS 300 Whisper
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »

They are basically the same.  Remington is factory loading for the 300blk in both sub and super sonic loads and from what I understand will be selling brass also.  If I was going to buy one for supersonic bullets I would go with the 7.62x40 that Wilson Combat is just getting started making.  It is pretty close to the 6.8 SPC in performance.

BTW, I went with the 338 Spectre for the win.   ;D  

GeneT

• View Profile
    • 50 BMG Site
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »

I have a .300 Whisper, and I'd vote for the blackout if they actually get commercially available brass.

There's no truth to saying that the Whisper is hard to adapt to the AR - it's as simple as any caliber is going to get, it's a different barrel / gas setup and you're done. (Same bolt, mags, etc.)  BUT, there aren't commercial brass available (unless you count ordering brass from SSK), and it's proprietary, so if anything becomes available it will have an extra cost associated with the licensing. 

If you're getting into the game right now, I wouldn't take the plunge unless you are prepared (at least as a backup plan) to form your own brass.

GsT

Alleycat72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »

I have both. The Whisper is a 16". The Blackout is a 10.5". The throats are different but that's about it. I use the same dies. AAC is selling lots of 2000 brass now. Midway and other distributors will have some in 100 round lots. The first runs will be primed.

Marty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »

The blackout is nothing but a SAAMI-ized Whisper and on various forums, comments have been submitted by folks in the know that the BO chamber is fully compatible with Whisper ammo.  From personal experience, I have fired CorBon 220 gr subsonic Whisper rounds in a BO with zero issues.

As to the 338 Spectre being more a subgun, not really.  The big difference is the lower peak chamber pressure, but other than that, their original premise is identical - heavy for caliber bullets fired at subsonic velocity for suppressed applications.
Marty ter Weeme
Founder, Teppo Jutsu LLC

nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
If I was able to see further, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants

Ruel

• Demon Hell Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:52:29 AM »

Well I am looking at getting into the game but I am in no hurry right now.  I have a bit of time before I even return to the states so that is why I am plotting right now...

I retract my previous statement about the 338 Specter. What I meant was after reading the description on the website it was to fill the gap between subgun and rifle. 

Ruel

• Demon Hell Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »

Welp I guess I took the plunge. Just ordered a Noveske .300 BLK Ill have to do the NFA stuff for the silencer when I get back stateside but at least I have an upper now. Still gonna get a .338S barrel once SBR gets up and running.