www.458socomforums.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check your spam/junk box for activation letter !

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for 458 Bullets (cast?)  (Read 4921 times)

gwhitney

• View Profile
Looking for 458 Bullets (cast?)
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »

What do you guys shoot at the range to save money on your reloads? I can't justify buying Barnes bullets from Midway at the going rate. I'm looking at the Hornady 300gr HP's but have also been looking for some lead bullets. I don't cast myself but apparently a lot of people don't cast .458. I found Moyer's Cast Bullets but am not familiar with them. Any other ideas or options you guys are satisfied with?

Thanks for the info.
Why do I have Shakira as my profile picture? No reason really.

http://blog.existentialtech.com

capn jack

• View Profile
Re: Looking for 458 Bullets (cast?)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »

Try the Cast Boolit Site. Look under Military Rifles. You'll find a response to Tony M. from GABBYM  (Mike @ Illinois Bullets) He does nice work.  ;D I'm working with some of his 420gr GC.

I use the 320gr. GC RCBS mold for my cast bullets. Cast hard with Gator (Locking type) Gas Checks. Don't waste your time with Plain Based Bullets...They just don't seem to want to shot straight out of an AR. ;)
Better to leave foot prints in the sands of time than a butt print

Big Bore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »

I use LBT cast bullets from Beartooth Bullets.  His bullets are hard cast and heat treated.  They are so nice I have all but quit casting my own. 
Join the N. R. A.
On the eighth day God created HKs.
Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.

Coop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:28:27 PM »

I have 3 cast bullets that I load in my 45/70 and have been thinking of trying them in my Socom as well.

Magma 300 gr flat point bevel base
Lyman 330 gr HP
Lee 450 gr flat nose

H110 is pretty much my goto powder for jacketed bullets in the Socom, what's a good powder for cast?

I did up some dummy rounds to test functioning. of the three the Lyman & lee strip out of the mag and chamber 100% of the time, the Magma not quite so good.

Big Bore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »

Same for cast.  The velocities are so low in the .458 SOCOM that you can use the jacketed bullet data without worrying about leading or driving them too fast.  It is best to use gas checked bullets though so you do not vaporize the base of the bullets which will increase lead vapor getting into and condensing in the gas block and gas tube.  When shooting cast you will eventually clog up the gas tube but considering the thousands of rounds it will take to clog up the tube, a new gas tube is chump change compared to the money you will save using cast bullets.  A gas checked bullet just helps prolong the inevitable. 
The only problem I have run into is not being able to size the bullets .001-.002 over bore diameter which with cast generally gives the best accuracy.  In the .458 SOCOM, .500 Phantom, and .470 Rhino, if you size the bullets over the bore size they will not chamber.  Marty cuts the throat tight and right at jacketed bullet diameter so a .459 bullet will not chamber but a .458 chambers fine.  Because of that I have not been able to get the kind of accuracy out of cast that I do in rifles that have throats more suitable for cast bullets like the .45-70s, .416 Rigbys, 458 Winny, and most handguns.  So far the best groups I have been able to get out of any of them are in the 2.5-4 inch range at 100 yards, 5 shots, depending on caliber and gun type.
Join the N. R. A.

gwhitney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 04:44:02 PM »

This is excellent. This is the information I was looking for. I was also wondering about whether to use gas checks or not. Thanks, this will make shooting much more affordable.
Why do I have Shakira as my profile picture? No reason really.

http://blog.existentialtech.com

Flintknapper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »

That Lee 450 gr flat nose looks pretty good.

Gas checked and Moly Coated...it might be something I would try.

So many other bullets...I want to load first though.
Spartans ask not how many, but where.

TonyM

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mat-Su Valley OHV
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »

I've been shooting all different flavors of cast... from .458, .459, .460..... from 300gr up to 420 grain. The common denominator between them all that I've found, is that gas checks are a must. No matter what I shoot, if it doesn't have a gas check, I get horrible fouling, and not near the accuracy. Gas cutting can be a problem without the gas checks (In some cases, even with the gas checks). If youre going to shoot cast, it's a good idea to slug your barrel first to see what your bore diameter ACTUALLY is.
Charlie don't surf.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Big Bore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »

I bet you are using a RR barrel aren't you?  None of my Teppo barrels, .458 SOCOM x 2, .470 Rhino, .338 Spectre, or .500 Phantom allow me to size the bullets even .001 inch over bore diameter.  The throats are so tight in all 5 rifles/pistols I have tried cast in, if the bullet sticking out of the case mouth is even .001 inch larger than jacketed bullet diameter they will not chamber.  I can only get the rounds to chamber when sized to .458 in the SOCOM, .338 in the Spectre, .474 in the Rhino, and .510 in the Phantom.
Join the N. R. A.

rjf458

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »

I have been using these 405 grain with good results. http://www.laser-cast.com/45Cal.html

Arty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »

rjf458 - do you know the hardness of these? It will be a while, but my next 458 bullet i'm going to work up is the Lee 405 HP. I'm just curious right now, thinking ahead. I'm concerned with vapor fowling off the base. I'm hoping that obturation will be sufficient to allow sizing at .458 without gas working down the side of the bullet, but the base concerns me. Thanks!

Big Bore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »

At less than $60 for 250 bullets, the money you will save could buy a bundle of gas tubes.  I prefer gas checked but except for the gas tube clogging up sooner, the bevel base bullet is not an issue.  I have shot a lot of hard cast BB LBT bullets in my .45-70s without issues, but I still prefer gas checks.
Join the N. R. A.

Quinc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »

Has anyone tried .460 dia bullets in there RRA Carbine upper?
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson

capn jack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »

I'm doing great sized to.459  Jack... 8)

Better to leave foot prints in the sands of time than a butt print

Quinc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »

If I had a choice I would go with .459. I found a great deal on 350gr gas checked at .460 though. Do you think I would run into any issues @ .460?
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Pages: [1] 2